Sunday, August 14, 2011

Disney World

Kaci loves everything Disney Princess.  She is often dressed up as her favorite princess (which often changes), singing songs from the movies, and acting out her favorite movie scenes.  Not too long ago she received a package in the mail from Malena (her favorite second cousin) and inside was a pair of Cinderella glass slippers.  You would have thought she had just received a check for a million dollars!  Those shoes were on her feet the minute she pulled them out of the box and for the next few days Cinderella was all we played.  I got to play the part of the Grand Duke who got to put the slipper on her foot to prove that she was the prince's true love, that is when I wasn't playing the part of the prince running after her at midnight as she dropped a shoe for me to find. 
The truth is that I love that she enjoys watching my old Disney movies.  It gives me a chance to relive a part of my youth and, let's be honest, the movies are entertaining.  She's even branched out to other movies that don't have princesses in them, like Peter Pan, Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmatians, and so on.

Let's rewind back to when Kaci had just turned 3.  It was around then that she started asking me to take her to Disney World.  The very first time she asked we were driving in the car and the question caught me totally off guard.  I asked her to repeat herself because I didn't think she could have possibly just asked me to take her to Disney World, I didn't even know she knew that place existed.  But that was exactly what she asked and that's what she kept asking every few days for months (along with "Who lives in Disney World?  Does Sleeping Beauty live at Disney World? You get the picture).  In my quest to find out who taught my little girl about Disney World I discovered that I, inadvertently, was the culprit with all the Disney movies I allowed her to watch.  You see, Disney movies put commercials in the previews for their oh so popular theme parks and my daughter decided that Disney World was the place for her.  Right now, we have Finding Nemo on the DVR and even during a showing on the television there's a commercial for, you guessed it, Disney World.  But this commercial talks about Disney World being the place where dreams come true so now Kaci informs me that she needs to go to the place where dreams come true. 

Well, in less than 60 days my baby will be going to "The Place Where Dreams Come True" and she has no clue!  We've told her that we would take her when she was 8 years old and she seems to be fine with that, of course she doesn't realize how far away that really is.   It's because of that lack of understanding of elapsed time I decided to keep this a secret.  We booked our trip back months back and I couldn't imagine fielding the daily "Are we going today?" questions.  Too much for this momma to handle. 

We'll spend 5 full days at the most magical place on Earth.  I've booked a breakfast date at Chef Mickey and a dinner date at Cinderella's Royal Table, complete with a princess makeover right before dinner begins.  Goodness...I can't WAIT to see the look on her face when she catches her first glimpse of the castle and sees her first princess! (Her daddy is pretty excited too because he always wanted to go there)

So now I'm faced with the dilemma of how I tell her her dream is coming true.  I am intrigued by all the videos you can see on TV where parents tape their child's reaction to the news and I would definitely like to have my camera running.  But I don't know if I should wait until the night before, the morning of, or just tell her we're going on a trip and not tell her where until we get off the plane.  Decisions, decisions.  The only thing I'm sure of is that I am going to make my little princess that happiest girl in the world in less than 2 months. 

No comments: