Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Beware of the Little White Pill

See this pill?




Know what it is?  Does this help?




Please beware of this little white pill.  This stupid sleeping pill resulted in a 911 call from my home this weekend.

Jim was prescribed this medication months ago and he was very leery to take it because of all the side effects associated with it.  I even have a friend who had suffered from hallucinations while taking it.  Well, his Advil PM wasn't cutting it so he decided to give it a try Sunday night.  Bad idea...Terrible idea...Horrible idea...100% the wrong decision.

At 2:00 AM, Jim came down the stairs with his shirt on backwards, shoes on his feet, and was carrying a baseball bat.  I myself have been suffering from terrible insomnia so I was still awake on the couch working on schoolwork.  He gave me the blankest stare when I asked him what he was doing.  Next thing I know, he's out the front door and began roaming the streets.  I tried to chase him down, but he had no clue who I was and kept swinging his bat talking about the 'people' he had to get.  I ran back in the house, checked on Kaci and woke up Kelsey.  We proceeded to try to drag him back to the house and when he still wasn't coherent, I sent Kelsey back to call 911.  Six minutes later, an officer (whom Jim knows) showed up and managed to get the bat away from him.  Next came the life squad and took him away on a stretcher.

At some point in the squad, he began to come back to himself but had no clue how he got there and what had happened.  Lab work at the hospital showed nothing, so the prognosis was a bad reaction to the medication and at 7:00 AM he was finally discharged.  The little white pills were disposed of at the hospital.  No way were they coming back into my house.

So, let this be a lesson to you all.  The little white pills are bad, bad news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the friend who also had hallucinations from this sneaky little pill, I'm ashamed to say that I am afraid to give it up! I have seen fairies flying around the room, a monster coming in my bedroom, and just last night was impressed with the way the ladies (really the rough lines in our ceiling,) were dancing across the bedroom ceiling. That being said, I know that I shouldn't allow the little white pills in my house either. But since taking any over the counter sleep aid is like taking M&M's to me, and I still only sleep three to four days a week even when I am loopy on the white pill, I just can't let them go. They are the only chance I have at getting a good night's rest.

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are reading be sure NEVER EVER to take this pill without supervision!! Not only do you need to be watched for your own safety, but you will never know exactly how entertaining you are unless you have a witness to fill you in the next morning!!

Jim, I'm so glad that you are ok!!! Debra you were right to rid your family of those things!!! Now if only Kevin could wrestly them away from me!!

Anonymous said...

As the friend who has had hallucinations (fairies flying around the room, monsters under my bed, and skeletons on the ceiling,) I can attest to the dangers and seriousness of this pesky little pill.

However, since any other over-the-counter sleep aid is just as helpful as taking M&M's to me, I can't seel to let mine go!! Just last night I was talking to Kevin about how wonderfully the ladies were dancing on our ceiling (you know those little lines on the ceiling when your ceilings are rough?) I didn't like the "skeletons" on the ceiling fan though!!

You would think I would have flushed the boogers a long time ago, but I just can't sleep at all afterward. I agree with Debra, NEVER EVER EVER take these things unsupervised. Not only does some one need to be close by to protect you, you wonn't know how entertaining you were without a witness around to see the show!!

Jim I'm so glad you are ok, Debra you were right to get rid of them. Now if only Kev could pry them out of his wife's hands!!!